Original Texas land grants bearing the signatures of Sam Houston, first President of the Republic of Texas, Mirabeau B. Lamar, the second President of Texas, and Anson Jones the fourth and final President of Texas as well as an original 1852 map of Texas by Eppinger & Baker have been graciously donated to Lamar National Bank by Mrs. Elizabeth and the late Dr. William deG. Hayden.
The pieces were given to Lamar National Bank from the renowned collection of the Elizabeth and William Hayden Museum of Art by Mrs. Hayden noting that they were fitting of the Texas-style décor of the bank and would be on display for the public in a safe environment.
“With much gratitude and humility, we accept these much valued Texas artifacts. They will most certainly be an excellent enhancement to our traditional Texas architecture and interior design,” said senior vice president Debbie Lewis.
The land grants were purchased by Dr. Hayden in 1986 for the Hayden Museum of Art. The map was a gift to the Museum given by Mary Ruth Biard whose ancestors were part of the original settlers of this area. Dr. Hayden, a preservationist, collector, visionary, athlete, and caregiver passed away in April of 2010. Upon his death the Museum was closed by his wife, who has worked to insure the curated works have found homes appropriate to their worth for the enjoyment of all.
Pictured accepting one of the Land Grants are Sr. Vice President Debbie Lewis and Greg Wilson of Lamar National Bank, and Mrs. Elizabeth Hayden.